Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Critical Reflection Draft 2

ES1102 is my first ever formal writing course, and it has been very beneficial for me. My writing has improved significantly over the past 12 weeks. Writing multiple drafts and editing have raised my awareness of grammatical errors and sentence structure issues, something which was a great problem to me. Now, I am more confident of my writing and even took it upon myself to check for some minor grammatical errors and sentence structuring in my group projects, which I used to rely on my group mates.

Writing can be rather time consuming for me, but Brad's emphasis on improvements through multiple drafts and editing have greatly improve my writing skills. More so, it has become a habit for me to write drafts for my modules' papers and assignments. Editing has allowed me to improve the structure of my sentences, and help convey my ideas in writings more effectively. The improvements are not experienced by me alone, but more of my friends have approached me for some minor editing in their papers. I feel happy to be of help to my friends and even happier that ES1102 has benefited me.

This course has not only improve my writing skills but also my communication skills. Instead of only going through grammar exercises, writing and editing, Brad included a presentation requirement. More than just learning how to write, I have also learned how to present; the importance of many nonverbal elements. I like the idea of a presentation, partly because writing demands more formality which I find it a hassle, presentation I feel, is more relaxed and less formal.

Now that I have a better foundation in writing, I will work on improving my writing skills in terms of vocabulary. This means that I will have to take up the habit of reading, which I find as a chore. However, coming from the arts faculty, reading is inevitable. I will slowly but surely develop the habit of reading in future. I will also continue to improve my awareness on grammars and sentence structures through editing papers, both from my friends and myself.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Eugene, for this comprehensive effort. You adhere well to the Gibb's Model while discussing your English learning journey in ES1102. You revisit your course experience well and show how that has led you to having more confidence and better grammar (among other things). I also am impressed by your plan for the future. I'm sure you will find success with such a plan when it's combined with your can-do attitude.

    Best of luck with your continuing, and with your future studies!

    ReplyDelete